Staff Selection and Induction in a Business Organization
Staff Selection and Induction in a Business Organization- Selecting procedure is most proper tailor made to meet the particular need the employing organization. The procedure depends upon a number of factors. First, the consequences of faulty selecting must be weighted.
This is influenced by the length of the training periods, money invested in the new employee, level and complexity of the job and possible damage to the organization if the incumbent job holder fails. To order the Complete Project Material, Pay thr Sum of N3,000 to: BANK NAME: FIRST BANK PLC ACCOUNT NAME: CHIBUZOR TOCHI ONYEMENAM ACCOUNT NUMBER: 3066880122 Then send the Project Topic, Your Email Address and Full Name to 07033378184.
To order the Complete Project Material, Pay thr Sum of N3,000 to:
BANK NAME: FIRST BANK PLC
ACCOUNT NAME: CHIBUZOR TOCHI ONYEMENAM
ACCOUNT NUMBER: 3066880122
Then send the Project Topic, Your Email Address and Full Name to 07033378184.
Second factor influencing the thoroughness of selection sequence is coming policy and top management attitude.
Some organizations deliberately over hire and count upon weeding out poor performers after a few months on the payroll.
This simply defers the selection decision until management has had a change to observe the new employees behaviour closely.
However, this procedure is costly for both the organization and the individuals involved, it wastes their time because the might more profitably be employed elsewhere.
A third consideration governing the thoroughness of the hiring procedure is the length of the probationary period.
A probationary period is an initial length of time a new employee has been on the pay roll during which he/she absolutely no job security rights.
A proposed selection procedure. It is true that the steps in the selection procedure should be varied to meet the special needs of the organization, the following is a model program that will work well in most cases. Adaptations can be made to suit individual situations.
For example, the medical examination can be placed quite early in the procedure, if physical stamina, strength and so on are critical to the work, if only a small portion of the general population can be expected to pass the examination. There are some basic steps using in a proposed selection procedure:
- Reception in employment office
- Preliminary interview
- Application blank
- Selection test
- Main employment office interview
- Investigation of applicant’s background
- Final selection interview by manager or supervisor
- Medical examination
- CONCEPT OF STAFF INDUCTION
After selecting a prospective employee, the thing is to accept or receive him into the organization.
Graham, H.T. (1981), defines induction as the process of receiving the employee when he/she begins work, introducing him to the company and to his colleagues and informing him of the activities, customs, and traditions of the company. Induction is designed to help selected individuals sit in smoothly into the organization. New comers are introduced to their colleagues, acquainted with their responsibilities and informed about the organization.
Induction constitutes a significant part of what Bakke calls the “fusion process, which is a “simultaneous operation of the socializing process by which the organization seeks to make an agent of the individual for the achievement of organizational objectives and of the personalizing process by which the individual seeks to make an agency of the organization for the achievement of his personal objective.
After the general introduction, the induction is continued by the job supervisor, which means that, proper induction takes time and if the supervisor feels that he is too big or busy, he should formally designate some older employee to undertake this task. He may or not be accepted by his work group; not only must the new employee accept the organization, the supervisor and the work group but they must accept him if successful fusion is to occur.
The employee is informed of the locations of the cafeteria, locker rooms and time clock. He may be told of specific practices and customers such as whether the personnel bring or buy their lunch, timing and length of rest periods and manner of dress. In the Union Bank of Nigeria Plc, induction serves so many purposes which justified the time and money spent on its in the bank. Induction can be formed or informal.
Formal induction is the one prepared by the organization for all newly employed persons. Where as informal induction is the immediate supervisor or with other works that are old in the field.
- NEED FOR STAFF SELECTION AND INDUCTION ON PROGRAMME
A well conducted selection interview performs the following functions or needs or roles.
- It offers elicit information about the candidate’s motives and behaviour in order to assess personality.
- It checks the final information the candidates has already given himself, examine the value and relevance of his experience and qualification.
- It enables both parties to agree on the terms of employments.
- It gives information about the job and company to the candidate. This part of the interview is often not adhered to but it is very essential.
NEED FOR INDUCTION PROGRAMME
Flippo E. B. (1985) said that induction is concerned with the problem of introducing new employee to the organization. As various firms report that over half of the voluntary resignation occurs within the first sixth month, proper induction can do so much to reduce this problem and its accompanying cost.
Walter P. J. (1990) defines induction “as introducing new employees to their jobs and to their companies” it is their first “inside” look at the company and it can make an important impression, if properly done. Job induction reduces employees uncertainties, makes company policies and expectation clear and provide a good idea of what the firm and co-workers are like often both the personnel department and the new employee’s supervisors are involved in the induction.
According Agbo O.G. (2002) induction serve so many purpose which justifier the time and money spent on it. Some includes the followings:
- Induction makes the new staff to be conversation with the operation of the company.
- The does and don’t of the organizations is being communicated the need staff through induction.
- Induction gives details of the organization policies work rules, employees benefits etc. to the new employed staff.
- Induction is needed to give information about the daily work routine to the employ.
- It reduces the rate of high labour turn over in an organization.
- Induction gives a review of organization history purposes, product and how the candidate’s job contributes to the organizations need.
- Induction is the beginning of training or the final stage of the selection process so selection cannot be complete without induction.
- TYPE OF STAFF SELECTION AND INDUCTION
PROGRAMMES OBTAINABLE IN UNION BANK PLC Selection process has as its objective the sorting out of elimination of these judged unqualified to meet job and organization requirements. This, in a sense, recruitment tends to be positive in that in seeks to persuade people to apply for work at the company or organization, where as selection tends to be some what negative because it rejects a good portion of those who apply. In order to achieve this, there two types or procedures of staff selection in any organization of which the organization is free to use one or both during selection. The first type of procedure as documentated by Aooleby R.C. (1982) are as follows:
- A staff requisition form is required and completed by the head of the department where the vacancy exists in such organization. Full details of the vacancy is noted, take for instance, the employment manager typically has in his possession an employment requisition initiated by some operating manager requesting, say, on design draft man with five years drafting experience to start world on say September 20th at a certain wage rate. When this has been done, it can be checked against the organization or company’s establishment by the personnel department who would arrange to insert the advertisement in daily newspaper and as well as in media homes such as television and radio house e.t.c.
After placing the advertisements, it is also important to work the advertisement correctly so that applicants who are not qualified to not apply, as a vaguely worded advertisement will bring in more unqualified application. The media houses use for such advertisement should checked periodically to ensure its effectiveness. After this, a short list of the successful applicant who meets the stated qualifications is drawn and interviews arranged and the short listed applicants are contacted through writings, and hence final selection is determine or made at the interview.
- The second type of procedure or approach to selection, which is admittedly more feasible for a large organization or establishment then small organization is by setting or establishing a certain basic entrance standards such a minimum amount, physical requirements, minimum score on a mental ability test, and so on. All those who meet or exceed these requirement of the organization are considered further for specific aptitudes abilities and vocational preferences that would fit them for one of a number of possible jobs. This type of selection brings about very positive aspects to the selection process. Such that instead if concentrating simple upon the rejection of applicants; the employment manager can transform his thinking into the task of deciding where in the organization such applicant would best fit.
Furthermore, Wendell and French (1973) put this second type of approach or procedure of staff selection in a diagrammatical position. Saying that an organization or establishment decides whether or not to make a job after and how attractive the offer should be. Also candidate decides whether such a job should meet his needs and goals. If however the balance is struck, the selection process begins.
- TYPES OF INDUCTION PROGRAMMES OBTAINABLE IN THE UNION BANK PLC NON CLERICAL STAFF
- Dispatch ridders
- These are classified as junior staff non-clerical. It is expected that within six months their confirmation could be perfected, there is no special induction programme, for those category of staff apart from sitting that is learning by seeing.
- Clerical Staff: Under those group we have those with OND, NCE, WAEC holders, if these people are to be in the branch will be induction for six months.
- Graduate Entrance or Management Trainee: These groups enter into higher management level based on the background of the new entrance for BSc (Bachelor of Science and HND) (Higher National Diploma). Holders usually undergo one induction or at times two years induction, so as to enable them to attend both junior and senior course of the bank.
- PREPARATION OF INDUCTION PROGRAMME FOR STAFF
Although it is true that there is no generally agreed comprehensive list of things that suppose to feature in induction programme and long it will last, it may not be an effective programme useless it is worked out in careful details about turning place and the essence of social adjustment.
Some new recruits may be easy to integrate because they have experience of frequent job changes, but other staff, may change employment less often and every one has to start at the same time.
The induction of new staff are entering the world of work for the first time and will be quite unfamiliar with the myriads of conventions may differ in dimensions because of their differences in knowledge and experience.
TEN CAUTIONS TO BE OBSERVED WHEN PREPARING INDUCTION PROGRAMME
Be sure to tailor your induction topic and procedures to fit your company
- The researcher should not rely strictly on managers, supervisors to plant the induction programmes.
- Avoid overwhelming employees with too much information too fast.
- Try to anticipate employee’s potentials problems and needs for information to be productive and reactive.
- The researcher should be certain should be certain show how the employees job is related to the jobs and how his order duties effect the final result.
- He or she is an effective, well informed worker with positive attitude towards work, the job, the department and the company as a whole.
- Use a checklist system for types to be discussed by personnel department and supervisory dew to assure that pertinent topics are covered.
- Try and share the most important information both in writing and verbally, do not rely solely the written word.
This article was extracted from a Project Research Work Topic
“THE PRACTICE OF STAFF SELECTION AND INDUCTION IN UNION BANK OF NIGERIA PLC
(A CASE STUDY OF UNION BANK OF NIGERIA PLC)”
To purchase complete Project Material, Pay the sum of N3, 000 to our bank accounts below:
BANK NAME: GUARANTY TRUST BANK (GTB)
ACCOUNT NAME: CHIBUZOR TOCHI ONYEMENAM
ACCOUNT NUMBER: 0044056891
BANK NAME: FIRST BANK PLC
ACCOUNT NAME: CHIBUZOR TOCHI ONYEMENAM
ACCOUNT NUMBER: 3066880122
After paying the sum of N3, 000 into any of our bank accounts, send the below details to our Phone: 07033378184
- Your Depositors Name
- Teller Number
- Amount Paid
- Project Topic
- Your Email Address
Send the above details to: 07033378184 or on/before 24hours of payment. We will send your complete project materials to your email 30 Mins after payment.
Articlesng.com will only provide papers as a reference for your research. The papers ordered and produced should be used as a guide or framework for your own paper. It is the aim of Articlesng.com to only provide guidance by which the paper should be pursued. We are neither encouraging any form of plagiarism nor are we advocating the use of the papers produced herein for cheating.